Week 3

Figure 1: Transferring of plastic to PIA plate
        This week started off great. After treating the microplastics, we had to be sure there was no microbial growth on them. An efficient way of doing that is to transfer the microplastics into different medias, PIA (Pseudomonas Isolation Agar), PF (Pseudomonas fluorescence), and TSA (Trypticase Soy Agar). PIA media allows growth for only Pseudomonas species bacteria. PF is a media that enhances the fluorescence pigment of Pseudomonas bacteria. TSA is a media for all types of bacteria. It’s like chicken soup for bacteria, every type of bacteria feeds on the agarose sugar. After transferring the microplastics into the media plates (figure 1), the media plates were put in an incubator (37°C) for 24 hours to allow bacterial growth (if there is any). 

Comments

  1. Very detail/description oriented post. I'm not too familiar with micro-plastics, but I was able to grasp a surface level understanding of what you're doing for your project. I look forward to reading more about the project as time progress and learning more about these micro-plastics. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this was a post from a week ago, but I am curious to know if there were any bacterial growth. If there were, it was likely on the Trypticase Soy Agar plate haha I really like how you compared it to chicken soup for bacteria, because that is very true. I've been hearing about micro plastics around the lab quite a lot, I hope to learn more about this project :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ibrahim! I've also heard a lot about microplastics around the lab but am not too sure what's going on. I will make sure to stay updated on your blog and learn more about the project through your posts and results! I really like how clear and understandable your posts are

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts