An advice I would give myself If I could go back to the beginning of the                                                      semester
         As an incoming transfer student, I wish I’d known I didn’t need to know everything! I was so wrapped up in the idea that I had to know everything about the courses I’m taking, how to navigate campus and the social scene. Sometimes the beauty is in figuring these things out organically. To be a successful transfer student, you just have to be willing to learn as you go, at least in my opinion.
            
           Do the work! Go to class! Seriously, unless you are half dead, go! Outline all your papers, and footnote everything. Even if you don’t “do outlines” or think they are a total waste of time, a quick overview of how the paper will be organized will help you loads in the long run. If you find yourself with a half-eaten pizza at 2 in the morning the day the paper is due (with no paper), hey, at least you have an outline. If you ever feel like your classes are too difficult to handle, don’t worry, there is always help out there. ASU has a decorated tutoring center. Also, most professors are more than happy to help you during office hours if you ask them. Some professors like Dr. Marshall could also point you in the right direction for seeking help. If that doesn’t work, YouTube everything or use online resources.

            Understand the system and work it. Expect the administration not to care about you. You’re a single yellow hanging folder in an ocean of student folders, so be ready to fight for anything you need, whether it’s permission to take a class, correcting a grade, navigating outdated online interfaces, registering for classes. Professors, on the other hand, can be your greatest allies, so link up with a few you can trust. They want to help you cut through the bureaucracy so you can get to the thing you’re there for, which is learning.

Comments

Popular Posts